The Gaston County Family YMCA is dedicated to providing high quality, affordable, age-appropriate after school enrichment for your child when you cannot be there yourself. The program is available from school dismissal until 6:00 pm following the Gaston County School calendar. Children are served at both School Based Sites and at YMCA sites. Take a look at the information below to see where your child would participate. The YMCA Afterschool Enrichment program is open to all. Financial assistance is available.
Students must be registered by 6:00 pm on Friday in order to participate in Afterschool the following week.
The YMCA is now hiring for the 2015 – 2016 School Year! Click here for more information.
2015 – 2016 Registration & Information
Attention Kindergarten parents – In past years Gaston County School Kindergarteners have tiered into school any may not attend school every day the first week. The YMCA does not offer full day care the week of 8/24. Please make it clear if your child will be starting the second week of school.
Afterschool Registration Information
The YMCA hosts 15 sites across Gaston County, 13 are onsite at the school and two YMCAs, Central and Stowe, also offer the program.
- School Based Site – Members $50, Program Participants $72 + $45 registration fee/child
- Belmont Central, Brookside, Carr, Cherryville Elementary, Costner, Gardner Park, Lowell, New Hope, Page Primary, Pinewood, Robinson, Sherwood, WA Bess, and Hawk’s Nest (hosted at Robinson)
- YMCA Based Site (schools transported) – Members $60, Program Participants $82 + $45 registration fee/child
- Central – Forest Heights, Plesant Ridge, Grier Middle, York Chester Middle, Sadler, Woodhill, HH Beam, Rhyne, Piedmont Charter, Lingerfeldt, Holbrook Middle.
- Stowe – Catawba Heights, Ida Rankin, McAdenville, North Belmont, Belmont Middle, Cramerton Middle, Mt. Holly Middle
Year Round Program
The YMCA offers a Year Round Pricing program that provides care for an entire year with an equal weekly draft. This program starts on the first day of school 2014 and ends on the last day of summer camp 2016 (August 21). All Teacher Work Days, Half Days, Holiday Camp, Spring Break Camp, Afterschool, and Summer Camp are included. At the time of registration they must select an Afterschool site and a camp site.
- School Based Site – Member $65, Program Participants $90 + $45 registration fee/child
- YMCA Based Site transported – Member $75, Program Participants $100 + $45 registration fee/child
- Year Round Program Information and Pricing
Financial Assistance and DSS Vouchers
Financial Assistance is available through the YMCA. Please use the form below to apply. Three sites accept DSS Vouchers – Central YMCA onsite, Gardner Park Elementary, and Sherwood Elementary. Early registration is encouraged.
Afterschool Added Benefit Programs
Afterschool Gymnastics and Dance
The YMCA offers a Gymnastics and Dance classes exclusively to our Afterschool participants! Participants are picked up at their Afterschool site and transported to the Pharr YMCA for their Monday 5:15 pm class. Parent pick up is from your child’s coach at 6:00 pm. Contact Ben Oeser at the Pharr YMCA for more information on this Monday session. Call him at 704.824.1131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Fee – $30/month
Afterschool Swim Lessons
The Stowe YMCA is excited to offer Red Cross progressive swim lessons to all Y Site (serving Ida Rankin, Catawba Heights, McAdenville, North Belmont) and Y Club (serving Mt. Holly Middle, Belmont Middle, Cramerton Middle) participants. This 8-week session, begins Wednesday Sept 9th from 5:15—6:00 pm.
Based on interest, transportation from other Y sites may be available.
Y Staff will take your child to the pool at 5:15 pm for their lesson. Parents will pick up at the pool to discuss progress with their instructor.
Printable Information Available – Afterschool Swim Lesson Flier
Cost: $40.00 per child for members,
$80.00 per child for participants
Holiday Camp and Spring Break Camp
The YMCA offers full day care during extended school breaks at both the Central and Stowe YMCA locations. This includes Holiday Break 2015 and Spring Break 2016. Full Day care, 7:00 am – 6:00 pm, will be provided for all registered at either a daily or weekly rate. Students registered for After School and/or Summer Camp at the YMCA are not automatically registered or charged for this program. Specific Registration is necessary.
Holiday Camp for 2015 – 2016 include:
- Monday, December 21 – Wednesday, December 23, 2015
- Monday, December 28 – Wednesday, December 30, 2015
- Monday, March 28 – Friday, April 1, 2016
- Central YMCA – Amy Cook, email@example.com, 704.865.8551
- Cherryville Family YMCA – Dan Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704.445.9622
- South Gaston Family YMCA – Yolanda Franklin, email@example.com, 704.865.2193
- Stowe Family YMCA – Mandy Lail, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704.822.9622
- Accounts Manager – Jean Springer, email@example.com, 704.865.8551
Gaston County School Employee Discount
All full time Gaston County School employees qualify for a discount on both your YMCA Membership and Afterschool Care of 35%.
Gaston County Girls on the Run
YMCA Afterschool supports the Gaston County Girls on the Run program. We welcome children participating in both programs and will coordinate their transition during afterschool hours. This is subject to program site availability. Click here for more information and to register for the GOTR program.